Sunday, October 30, 2011

Team Temptation

The topic in Sunday school with our sixth graders was temptation.  When asked about their own temptations, they discussed to curse or not to curse, to lie, to follow the misguidance of a friend.  I told them the topic was soon going to get awkward and we led them into a discussion about boyfriends and girlfriends.  Knowing that almost all the parents of our kids have expectations of dating and relationships for their kids (and they don't really "date" anyway.  Kids just say they are "going out" which means they take an occasional picture together and allow themselves to be teased by their peers), I knew none of them would have any.  They all raised their hands when I asked them if any of their friends did.

If they only knew their teacher had a pretty interesting sixth grade year.  My budding relationship with adult magazines was thriving thanks to a cable box and little supervision (and a kid who waited for opportunities).  I hung out in the neighborhood with two kids that reveled in mischievousness.  We cursed often, spit wherever we walked and dared anyone to tell us otherwise.  I don't know if I was bad because I wanted to or because I wanted the attention.  I know I clung to my sin like a badge of honor.  And that's sin, too, because we only choose sin that makes us feel good.

I also remember my sixth grade year as the last one with my parents.  Perhaps my attention seeking endeavors derived from their arguments, the time away.  My mom and step-dad were polar opposites.  One wanted to party, one wanted dinner immediately upon his return from work.  One was sarcastic, the other serious.  One said everything on their mind and the other reserved. Perhaps it was the lack of supervision of all my street friends.  We all had lax curfews and were given whatever we needed.  I wasn't spoiled, per se, but I did not lack of anything.  I know it was different for my parents growing up.  Perhaps that was a generational curse.

Today's kids have plenty of temptations.  I could wax poetic and old-man myself about today's technology and the freedom of access that kids have.  I remember sending my own daughter off to bed and being instant messaged by one of her friends.  Instead of not replying or just saying she had went to bed, my initial response was, "Why would you think my daughter would be up this late to talk to you?"  It was the beginning of any eye opening experience with boys.  Our little argument ensued and I don't know if I can say that kids today have more courage or lack of respect than before.  If I would have called a girl late in the evening and a parent answered, a dad, I would have been lucky to not hang up.  Having that keyboard and screen in front of you either makes us insensitive or braver.

Media too.  Twilight movies have our girls brainwashed to follow a brooding guy no matter the circumstances.  It's almost sickingly suicidal, all the talk about "not living without you" and scenes of despair when they aren't together.  Team Edward.  Team Jacob.  No Team God.  Popular shows have absent parents (I'm looking at you, iCarly), cartoon characters seek dates (Phineas and Ferb) and every teenager is sarcastic, a know-it-all or pregnant (thanks, MTV).  Temptation is everywhere.  But it isn't a sin.  It's the choice we make after that means everything.

So our sixth graders beg for phones, a facebook, sleepovers.  All I wanted as a sixth-grader was 100 friends, a pretty girl to talk to and to be left alone (unless it was with my mom).  I had the video games, the movie nights, the clothes. I had plenty of freedom too.  I wrote, I was constantly living my life in my mind.  Free to ponder, free to choose.  It was the best gift I was given as a child.  I know that my parents didn't know any other way.  Family time was dinner, going to see my dad play softball, a car ride to San Antonio.  They probably received less time that that growing up.  I tend to think my grandparents' lives were even tougher.  How many people my grandma's age didn't even finish school because they were working the fields?  Now my family time is spent doing all sorts of events.  Games, life groups, church functions.  My kids are growing up so much different than I was.  Same love, different method.  In the end, they'll face the same temptations we had growing up.  They'll have choice too.  A choice to love.


No comments:

Post a Comment