Monday, April 19, 2010

Fielding Grounders

Thank goodness for Matthew 6:34! On that note, I'll tread around the verse until later.

Mondays here at the Cordova house always start fairly typical. Get the kids ready, head to school, and for myself, a day without specials for school, and normally the beginning of a new Reading lesson. Without a plan on Monday, it makes all the other days at school fail in comparison. So, I'm normally 20% stressed, slowly declining by the year's end because by then I'm mastering more of the curriculum and there's not so much need to weigh the lessons down.

My wife Delcina has just begun Spring session of grad classes, so she's gone in the evening. After school, Milly has dancing/gymnastics. At age 2, it's more wrangling the kids down in some semblance of order so that they may do a forward flip on the inclined mat. Control consists of sitting on a circle or star. My daughter runs past the circle, onto the stack of mats furthest from her station, climbs them and jumps off. Come after her and you begin to realize you're running in circles with your socks on, laughing and having a better time than the kids. It all ends with Ricky Martin's "Ole ole ole" song, lots of hip shaking and jumping. She says, "I'm happy" and we leave.

I finally get as chance to get to my older daughter's softball games. She's a sophomore on varsity, not playing much but unlike last year (maybe that's for another blog), I'm not going into blaming the entire town, district and coaching staff for not playing her. Smiling through the complaint/awkwardness/concern from another parent about your daughter is the kind of silence that I'm learning but not sure I always like. In my Bible study class, one of the lessons concerned how we poison our body's with sex, food, lack of exercise, etc. Then it talks about poisoning your mind with suspicion and gossip. It engulfed me last year. No doubt I'm conscious of attempts to get me back into the man of 2009. Keep growing, keep evolving.

Cruz's baseball practice started at 7:15. Despite his short stature, the boy is all ball. He's a dirt devil. At one point he was miming how to field the ball to his partner, motioning towards where the ball was hit, picking up an imaginary ball and hurling it across the diamond.

And even though my left ear has felt like it's been clogged all night, and I forgot to walk the trash out to the curb, I went back to Matthew 6:34. Do not worry about tomorrow, my dear friend, for tomorrow will worry about itself. It's all those moments of today and so many more to come. Tell me when the ride stops, I have plenty of stamina for another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment