Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Among the Remnants of Objects: Arkansas Mission Blog 1


There’s something completely different going on in my heart this time around.  So last night when our former youth pastor asked the question, “Why are you here?” I wasn’t able to quickly find an answer.  So why did I choose to spend a week in Arkansas doing tornado mission work?  Why did I choose to go to Oklahoma last year?  Those answers, and I’m sure the results, will be completely different.  That’s the great mystery of devoting your life to a God who’s full of surprises.  The God that knows my weaknesses, my faithless moments and the tears of struggle I shed when I try and carry my own troubles.  No matter what I try to do, spoken and unspoken, to defiantly deny (which is what sin is, isn’t it, a flat-out denial of what we know to be true in our hearts) His love for me, there comes a moment when the realization hits home. 

I’m on my third day of relief work here in Arkansas.  I’m having a blast.  We traveled Monday with a group of 17 youth and five adults.  Many of them participated in the Oklahoma trip last year, others I know from church or having worked at last summer’s work camps.  We met a crew from Louisiana that is headed by our former pastor and his wife.  We’ve been in the business of moving scrap metal, wood, tearing down fencing and clearing debris from a wheat field (for those that know me, we had another wheat field experience in Oklahoma).  The work is constantly blanketed by oppressive humidity and layered in our own sweat.  In Oklahoma, we were not among the neighborhoods that were wrecked, so the smells of the decay were lost among us.  This time, the smell of mildew and rotting refrigerator food has had an overwhelming effect.  It’s at times disgusting and comical.  I’m afraid to move a bag of trash for fear that some mystery juice will seep out of a peephole, or that a rat or snake will spill forth awaiting to macabrely dance me to shrieks. 

I’m still not used to seeing this type of destruction.  Being up close to wreckage is unlike anything someone could experience.  Support beams uprooted and bent, metal garage doors crinkled like paper, insulation in tatters as if a gigantic yellow lab had been shedding hair among us (which is funny since we met up with Maggie at one site, a yellow lab who shed at each stroke of her back).  We played games of “Guess that object,” many times today.  Radiators, a barbecue grill, smashed toys, a section of a soccer goal—all were contestants on this day. 

I always try and get a sense of the life or lives that have been touched by this wreckage.  How can you assemble someone’s life, their personality, from the remnants of objects?  A button pin of a youngster, the covers of rain-beaten books—from a “how to talk to yourself” book to cookbooks—VHS tapes, a headless weed eater.  My mind cannot “inception” the twisted metal back into reality.  It’s gone and the envisioning cannot fully happen.  I couldn’t imagine waking up every morning to the sight of an unfamiliar ceiling, or driving down a street where your neighbors are no longer around (or any longer living), where the familiar road you traveled and the stops along the way to work have been shifted by some seismic mind game. 

It’s clearly evident why I’m here, however.  Tim spoke of one’s life being fulfilled when one pursues God’s best in their lives.  What a profound and simple statement.  He didn’t say, “Make sure to be good,” or “Don’t do this or that.”  What are some of the things I pursue?  They are not always God-related.  Some of them are work related and many of them are selfish.  But all the times I have chosen His plan it’s been proven to be prophetic. 

And this type of work is just that.  Who wants to spend a week digging through reeking trash?  Who wants to take downhill and uphill treks to drop off steel?  Who wants to wade through a wheat field so someone can harvest their crop (in Oklahoma) or feed their cows (Arkansas)?  

Am I better off for going?  My two last weeks have been pretty crazy here in Ohio.  I finalized my 11th year as a fifth grade teacher.  Another new principal awaits, and cleaning my room the last day was something I wasn’t looking forward to.  Cleaning my mess is an ordeal to be avoided at all costs.  Cleaning a huge, destroyed-home mess is not.  Crisis prevention at home as my wife and I wade through the unplanned surprises of our son’s behavior.  Lately, naps, punishments, prayers, beer and throwing my hands in the air have been the ways I have dealt with my son’s mood swings.  I look at a hunk of metal that I cannot possibly carry on my own and I have friends that will help me lift.  I don’t ask for help often, and on trips like these, help is a must.  We took shifts today while we worked to beat the heat.  Still, we have one with a fever and a van load of kids were blasted emotionally by the heat. 


I spoke with Ms. Falk who was telling me the story about the neighborhood where we were working.  Seven people sought shelter with a thirty minute warning of imminent danger.  Two men, sons, across the street chose not to and were among the 17 dead in the town of Vilonia.  I spoke to the woman she had taken in after the destruction.  She sat in the truck, smoked her cigarette and talked about how her furniture was completely lost or broken apart.  There was a weak resolve in her voice, a woman in her 70’s, her husband already passed years ago.  But the resolve was there.  Some are more defiant.  Neighbors spiked American flags from the remnants of their driveways, the flag of Arkansas, state pride, Arkansas strong.  It’s times like these that can make you or break you.  Miss Lonora, whose trailer home was completely demolished, plans to rebuild for the third time.  Her 29 year old grandson left town and vowed to come back when she got “a real place.”  He survived the tornado despite being thrown out a window of a trailer home that had been flipped over twice, where the only structure that remained was the tile flooring. 

My life is not in shambles, but from my attitude lately you’d think it was.  I needed a perspective check.  Maybe the reason I came was to escape responsibility that I know awaits in Ohio.  Maybe this trip was exactly what I needed after not calling for God’s help in months.  Maybe the reason has yet to be revealed.  What’s certain is that through the remaining week my mind and actions will revolve around God.  What’s certain is that I’m sure there will be some surprises along the way, like there always are.  I’m amongst a group of teenagers and I feel young, all up until I sit and become reminded of my aches.  And I’m among friends too. 

I told one today that despite them moving out of Ohio, it’s like when we see one another you pick up right where you left off.  You don’t ever get a chance to do that when people leave your life.  Death happens and sometimes there’s regrets, reliving those last moments.  A family moves from your lives and soon a new neighbor arrives.  I moved every year as a kid growing up, so I constantly said good bye to friends, only to never really get the chance to say what I really felt, or at least a hug goodbye.  That’s a slice of heaven.  The minute we return to glory, our loved ones will look upon our faces like we had never been gone.  And you’ll catch up as if you had seen them yesterday.  That’s friendship.  That’s God’s true intention for our lives.  None of the awkwardness of what to talk about.  None of the shame of having regretted some offense. 

I’ll return home soon to see my familiar surroundings.  I know that eventually I will notice the flaws, the cracks in the cement or the garage that is full and needs to be cleaned.  But I’m first going to catch up with the wife and kids.  Hug them as if I’d been gone for days, and loving on them as if there had been no separation. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment