Thursday, January 8, 2015

Amenities from God: Report to Brookport Mission Trip, Day 4

Today was the day I gave up on showering. In every blog I've read about mission trips there's rarely the gem story that gives in graphic detail what it's like being in a modified camp setting within a group. Almost inevitable, you find out way too much about the digestive system of the people in your group. In Oklahoma, there's even picture evidence of oversharing. The same thing happens amid of group of college kids. I thought going in that they wouldn't be relaxed enough with an adult around to be themselves. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Did I mention shower issues? The church we are housed in has no showers, but they have a FEMA inspired shower trailer behind the building. It has 4 stalls. It's a tight fit, but there's privacy. What we don't have is hot water. The cold spell that has hit this area has been a nightmare on the poor farmer who has been working on getting us up and running all week. The first day we had no water at all because a valve was stripped. The second day we had working showers. It was cold going to and from the building but having some hot water and a clean body was worth the cold trip. Then the wind chill dipped further.

The following day we had zero water of any kind. The pipes froze. When the water returned on Wednesday, one of the frozen ones burst so that the water was flooding the trailer. The poor farmer/handyman was the most frustrated of all. Each time he fixed a pipe or connected a new hose, the weather came from behind and undid his work. Eventually we were taken in by Pastor Jeff, a leader from the local Methodist church who has been around the work areas, dropping off supplies and checking in to make sure we had what we needed. He had invited us to dinner and showers. You had not seen such a happy group in your life.

I was reluctant to even make the trip. I could feel the pressure building from my own lack-of-amenities- frustration. Each day I was reminded of what I had left home, a breathing machine, not enough clothes, my medication, etc., and when I mixed that in with fatigue and my own expectations, I began to see my mood change.

By the time I did shower, I was all but spent. However, the actual experience was not what I had expected. By the time I went in, 9 other showers had already been ran. I didn't think there was much chance for warm water as it was, but when I couldn't figure out how the shower head worked, I ended up basically bathing in ankle deep lukewarm water, as if the basement had flooded on a spring day. I'm freezing, the soap is applied and rinsed by the wringing of a wash cloth, all the while was trying to figure out what to touch, push, twist or pull to have the water release from the shower head. I felt like my kids when they call me from the bath to get them a towel. Except, here I am, a grown man, with the film of soap layered on my semi-wet body like a Popsicle sleeve that won't come off. Who was I going to call?

I tell you these things dear reader in the hopes that you understand that not all mission trips are created equal. Each time I've been away, therein lies different stories of binding, frustration and weariness. What else can I do but laugh about it with you now, share the story and add it to my list of experiences.

After a tremendous meal and a new BBQ sauce recommendation, we headed out bowling. During this trip we met up with a lovely young lady by the name of Kelcy. She is a student at Murray State who introduced herself when we first arrived. Her mom attends church in Mt. Sterling where we are housed. She grew up in the town we were coming to assist. Needless to say, she's been with us this entire trip. She's helped out at the work sites, learned how to play Euchre, attended our marathon late-night Bible studies and even brought another friend too. It's been one of these blessings to have met her. She has repeatedly told us how our group coming to serve her town has inspired her to reacquaint herself with the God she fell in love with as a child. Her presence is a gift that God sends along the way.

Seeing the kids bowl lifted my sense of weariness too. The owner of the establishment came down for a chat and after hearing our story, passed on a game of free bowling and turned on the disco globe for some late-night neon bowling fun. Any other college student a week before they return to school are partying, drinking, avoiding any kind of responsibility. Here are these kids, forgoing the pleasures and comfort of home to work. Many of their friends and parents have been texting them all week. "How is your retreat?" "What are you even doing?" By the looks of them dancing, taking selfies and laughing, I understand why I sometimes don't get answers back from my daughter when I text her during the year. They're living life the only way they know how. With fellowship.

We didn't do much study that night. We shared our Jesus moments in the church parking lot, in a warm van, still laughing and sharing what was on our hearts. It made me think back to the previous night when we studied Gideon from Judges, chapter 6 verse 33 to verse 7:7.  Here's Gideon, a warrior, being summoned by God to fight the Amelikites for their idol worship and to free the Israelites from their rule. Gideon, however has plenty of "ifs" and rebuttals. He puts God to the test more than once to prove Go would be with him on the battlefield. Even with everything we know to be true, we still yearn for the visible signs that God is with us. Oh Gideon, how you're just like me!

In my life, do I choose God's best or do I choose what's left? Even with the proof in his hands (look it up, it has something to do with fleece!), Gideon's army was whittled down to the bare minimum. Perhaps God was teaching Gideon a lesson. If you have full trust, you could have had it all. Since you kept questioning me, I'm going to give you only what you need. Gideon won anyway, but in such a way that showed God had his hands on the battle plans.

This trip has helped me see that I can do more with less. If that means a shower, so be it. If that means a borrowed pillow, that too. We've already been given so much, and in our work, have sometimes felt so weary and frustrated. We have been sanding, spackling and detailing a home for Miss Lucille. But there's God all in, like always. He brings us men and women who have made meals, opened their homes and businesses for the things that get us by. A hot meal, fellowship, a prayer and most importantly, a new friend. New friends rock.







No comments:

Post a Comment